Tuesday, January 19, 2016

How to Steam Fresh Broccoli in A Instant Pot

Well, well, here I'm back again to share a quick and easy way to use your Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.  I know it has been awhile since I last posted, I have been using my new kitchen gadget since I got it in early June and boy is it a time saver and during the summer it doesn't heat up the kitchen, win win!!

I thought I would share with you how I recently made some fresh broccoli in the Instant pot.



I purchased a steamer basket from Amazon and removed the handles so that it would fit into the Pot liner.  I just use some chef's tongs after it is done steaming, to remove the basket.  To remove the handles on this steamer, just push back and forth until they snap off.  If you have a strong guy handy, that will work too!

You pour one cup of water or broth into the liner, place your cut-up broccoli into the steamer basket, then place it into the Pot liner.  Place the Instant Pot lid onto the pressure cooker and turn until sealed.  Make sure that the Steam Release handle is pointed to "Sealing".  Now on the front panel, press Steam, then hit the minus "-" button until it shows zero "0" on the display.  That is all you do.  It will then display "ON", which means that the Instant Pot is now heating up the liquid so that it can build pressure in the pot.  Once the little silver pin next to the Steam Release handle has popped up, it will begin the count down.  Once the Instant Pot has alerted you that it is done cooking, release the pressure by turning the Steam Release handle to the "Venting" position.  You will know when the pressure is all released when the little silver pin next to the handle drops down and you can easily open the lid.  NEVER try to force the lid open!  When you open the lid, make sure you open it away from you.  To turn off the Instant Pot, hit the "Keep Warm/Cancel" button or unplug the machine.

This makes the best tasting broccoli too and as you can see, it is still a nice bright green color!

Here is a good article for you to read on broccoli.

Thanks for stopping in to see me too!  Mary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! I was annoyed because steamed broccoli in my Instant Pot always came out overcooked, I had no idea the cook time could be set to zero minutes. It works like a charm.

Melissa said...

Hi there! Based on your rec above, I bought the same basket - it's a perfect size and I love how deep it is! I can't wait to try it! Can you tell me how you removed the handles? Mine don't seem to be budging even the slightest and I'm a bit nervous about warping it.

Thanks!