Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Grandma "D" Meatloaf

Hi too all of you! Since the weather has been on the cool side here, I've started cooking more, which makes my hubby very happy these days! Today I'm going to share my recipe for my Grandmother's meatloaf. It is the best, well my family thinks so, in fact, they get down right mad if I even mention that I would like to try a different recipe! So you will have to be the judge on if you like it or not. I can understand why some people don't like meatloaf after taking pictures of making it for the blog, doesn't look the yummiest, but boy it sure is yummy after it is cooked!!OK, here we go. In a large bowl, add--eggs, milk (I mix them together first),cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, sage and ground beef.

Mix all together really well, I use my hand, but only my right hand, in case the phone rings, got to be able to answer it! Now put it into a greased (I PAM mine) loaf pan.
Set it aside while you mix the topping ingredients together. In a cereal bowl, add sugar, nutmeg and dry mustard. I mix this until there are no lumps of dry mustard left.
Than add your ketchup. Mix well.
Now pour and spread it all over the top of your meatloaf.
Bake for the time stated. After it is done, take a turkey baster and remove any grease that has collected in the bottom of the pan.
Let set for 5 to 10 minutes to let the juices settle in the meat. Cut and serve.
Hmmmm......now doesn't that just make your mouth water?!! Oh and my hubby just loves to use the leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches! Enjoy. Oh, I will share my mashed potato recipe with you soon.
Meat Loaf
2/3 cup cracker crumbs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use 93% lean)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
Mix all together and pat into a greased 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. Set aside and make topping.

Topping
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Mix together and pour over meat loaf.
Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments: