Sunday, February 12, 2012

Traditional Chex Party Mix

Hi everyone, hope you all have doing well. It has been busy here with hubby and PT, we just found out he will have his back surgery on March 8th, so I'm still going to be busy playing nurse for awhile longer yet, but his back surgery should go really well and only be down for two weeks. Well I had good intentions of posting this closer to Christmas and than for New Year's and than for the Super Bowl, but, sigh, I just didn't get it done. This is a recipe that I got from my Mom, in fact, this is the only chex mix my youngest daughter will eat! She always ask, "is that Grandma's recipe" before she will even take any! It's an old recipe from the 1970's, I'm guessing it may be the original recipe for Chex Mix. My Mom did make a few changes to it, she increased the seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce amounts and she substitute Cheerios for some of the Chex, but we like it her way the best, so that is what I'll put down.

See that red bowl? I have a green one just like it, it is huge and I found these one year at Wal-Mart, they hold alot, which is great for mixing up this recipe! Melt your butter (I do this in a small saucepan); then add the seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce and stir until well combined.
Pour over your cereal/nut/pretzels and gentle stir and toss until everything looks like it is coated with the melted butter mixture.


Bake in the oven for one hour and let it cool on your pan. After it has cooled, eat or I put mine in a gallon Zip-Lock bag to keep it fresh. Will hold for a long time sitting on the counter, that is unless you eat it all, lol!


Traditional Chex Party Mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt, original recipe called for 1 1/4 teaspoon
6 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, original recipe called for 4 1/2 teaspoons
2 2/3 cups Cheerios, original recipe called for Wheat Chex cereal
2 2/3 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 2/3 cups Corn Chex cereal
2 2/3 cups pretzel sticks, optional but we add1 cup salted mixed nuts, I use cocktail peanuts and I always use 2 cups, you could add cashews.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat butter in a large shallow roasting pan (about 15 x 10 x 2-inches) in oven until melted. Remove. Stir in seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce. Add cereals, nuts and pretzels. Mix until all pieces are coated. Heat in oven 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool ( I don't do this, I just let it cool on my sided cookie sheet).

Well this is it for this post, I hope you enjoy this recipe! It seems like alot of work, but it is really very easy to make. Thanks for stopping in to see me! Mary

2 comments:

Chanda said...

Mmmmm, mmmmm! That looks goooood! I like that you add the extra flavor, too! Can I come over? :)

Al said...

Moved last year & lost/misplaced my recipe in the shuffle. This is the closest I have found to the recipe I remember from the 70s, except we used 2 cups of the 3 tyopes of Chex & 2 cups of cheerios.