Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Quinoa and Black Beans


Hi everyone!! Today I would like to share a recipe that I found on Allrecipes, you can see the recipe HERE. Now I haven't ever tried quinoa before but have read what an excellent source of protein it is. In fact, it is the only grain that is a complete protein! I'm always on the look out for main dish recipes where I don't need to cook it in the oven, especially when the heat is near 100 degrees. Husband always says, "why heat up the house, just to cool it back down!" So I've had to become creative with making main dish meals thru the years.
Now I'm new to this tutorial stuff, and I didn't take pictures of each step in making this dish, will try over time to do better. When making this recipe, I read some of the 1,552 reviews to see if I wanted to try it, with that many reviews and most were positive, I had to give it a go. Even thou the box of quinoa I bought stated that it was pre-rinsed, I let mine soak in water to cover for 15 minutes, than drained it, than I rinsed it for a total of three times, this is to make it softer and to remove the bitterness that some have experience when using this grain.

Quinoa and Black Beans
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, I used olive
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped, I'm lazy, I use the jar chopped garlic
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth, can use chicken or even water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, we are wimps, so I use 1/8 teaspoon
salt and pepper to taste, I went easy on the salt because of the broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels, can use canned
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, I used only one can
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with the vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
There you have it, fairly simple to make and it doesn't heat up the house to make it.
Some of the reviewers suggestions were to serve cold, serve with salsa, serve with avocado and sour cream, etc.
How Did We Like IT??

One can of beans, I thought, was plenty for this recipe. My daughter liked it cold, I liked it warm with some salsa added to the top. Hubby was not impressed. So only you will know if you and your family would like this.

Thanks for stopping by! Mary

{Printer Friendly Version}